יום רביעי, 1 בנובמבר 2017

217. Ride Report Brevet Israel 2017 1000

Hi,

My ride report of the Israeli brevet 1000 of the 2017 season.




This is the 3rd edition of a brevet 1000 in Israel.
It is a new route (each time was a different route.)
Rough route:
Tel Aviv (sea level,) HaEla (where David and Goliath fought,) Western Negev Desert, Steel Division Monument,
Nitzana, Sdo Boker, Mount Harif (about 1000 asl,) Big Crater, Dead Sea (400 meters below sea level,) Dimona,
Sde Boker, Nitzana, Western Negev Desert, HaEla, Tel Aviv.

6 riders started, by first name order:
Assaf, Ben, Odd, Shuki, Udy, and myself.
Odd came from Norway specifically for this brevet. He's an experienced rider, and attended numerous long brevets, as well as a successful finish in the Trans-Am.
Ben cam from the Netherlands, specifically for this brevet. He's an experienced rider, and rode in Israel in the past in the 2014 brevet 1200, which he completed successfully.
Ben said he's recovering from an illness, and he doesn't feel too prepared for such a hard brevet (Ben's words...)

Before the ride I decided to take a large saddle bag,
but when I set it up I noticed it was a little torn, and will sway during the ride, so decided on a relatively small bag.
It meant that I only had one spare set of clothes (but 2 sets of gloves and socks.)
And wouldn't have room for warm clothes.
When I checked, the coldest would be in Mitzpe Ramon, with expected 13 degrees, and I hoped I would be ok.

All the riders came to the start before the official start time, and we had a few minutes to chat, and get to know the riders that came from abroad, and look at their bikes.
Shuki asked me whether I remembered to bring a reflective vest (I usually forget one when we train at night.)
I didn't remember, and hadn't had enough time to bring one from home, so I'll buy one along the way.

Odd told us that his bike is completely new, 3 days old, because his usual (carbon) bike were recently totaled.
His new bike has disk brakes with thru axles.

From the start, we all rode together, especially where there was heavy traffic, until we left the Tel Aviv metropolitan area.
We stopped for water in Nachshon, and I forgot to buy a reflective vest.

After the descent from Harel, Odd had a flat in his front wheel.
Ben and me helped him. Shuki continued, and Assaf continued as well.
They waited at the top of the climb to the Nasi Forest.

I forgot to buy a vest at the next control as well, and started to get nervous, as it was going to be dark in about 3 hours.
I told the others that I'll ride a little faster, to accumulate time to get into a gas station, buy a vest, and return to the road with everybody.

I couldn't find a vest in several stations. I didn't see the other riders, and TT'd to catch them.
A little after Sderot I found a vest and was relieved (there were still 2 hours before dark.)
I continued riding fast, and before Beeri I got a text from Assaf, saying they stopped for a puncture in Odd's rear wheel, and they're more than 10km behind me.
I was relieved, and continued riding slowly.

We set up to meet in the "La Medavesh" bike shop in Beeri, and I was waiting there for the others.
We spent too long in Beeri.
Odd bought 2 inner tubes (I joked that with his puncturing rate he needs at least 16 tubes,) and bought oil and some ointment to relieve pain (I didn't suffer any pains, but applied some as preemptive measure.)

Odd continued to puncture, and by Maun he had a total of 4 punctures: one in front, and 3 in the rear.
Ben voiced what we all thought: We lost more than an hour because of Odd's punctures, who came with new bike, wheels, and tires.
I told Ben he should start moving again, and also "let" Shuki and Udy continue as well.
Assaf and me stayed with Odd, and we met the others soon enough.
We didn't stay for lond at the next stop, as we wanted to accumulates time to sleep.

From Gvulot southwards the road goes quickly, but Ben couldn't keep up.
After a few times we slowed down and waited for him, Ben said we shouldn't wait for him anymore.
I told him that he can ride with Udy, who like to ride a little far behind.
In Mashabim Ben said he DNF as he lost a lot of time for Odd's punctured, and he also felt weak after his illness.

When we left Mashabim towards Nitzana, we (including Udy) stayed there for too long, but Udy preferred to stay, and leave alone, behind us.
We were 4: Odd, Assaf, Shuki, and me.
Coming back from Nitzana, when we met Udy, I looked at the time, and told him that he's about 30 mins behind us. He estimated it as 45 mins.
We reached the hostel in Sde Boker, took a shower, and set the alarm for 2:30 hours.
Shuki asked me if I hadn't used the ointment I bought, and I replied that I don't need it now, as I have one from home, and I bought it to "return a favor" to the bike shop.
I gave Shuki the ointment I bought.
When we woke up, I was ready in less than 30 mins, but we left more than 50- mins after the alarm went off.
Udy arrived, and said he slept outside, in a bus station.

We left without Udy towards Mount Harif.
We stopped for supplies in Avdat, and we left into the desert.
There was not water in Mount Harif, and some of us had a low water level.
The way back was quicker, and we got some water just before the junction with Road 40.

In Avdat we stopped for very long. We met Udy, who again stayed longer, and left some time behind us.
In Yeroham we stopped for water and some pastries.
Amit told us he's traveling in the area, and he met us in the Big Crater, bringing us water, tubes, and dried fruits. A real angel!

I descended relatively slow to the Dead Sea, because the cars there were too fast and too close for me to feel comfortable.
We heard that Udy DNF'd, and it was a pity.

We were now facing the big ascent from the Dead Sea to Hatrurim.
Shuki left first, and I followed. Assaf and Odd left a little behind me.
I passed Shuki about half way up, and although I though they'll pass me - Assaf and Odd didn't.
I stopped for a little rest between Hatrurim and Zafit, until a rider would catch me.
Shuki arrived, and we continued together slowly, until Assaf and Odd caught us.

Exiting Dimona at night was cold at first, but I was warm pretty quickly. I wore what I usually wear on a summer day.
We arrived in Sde Boker again, and we slept more than 2 hours, and again took our time before leaving.

From Sde Boker the route goes north to Dimona, and back through Halukim to Nitzana.

Between Halukim and Tlalim I hard some clicks from the rear wheel, or rear derailleur.
I stopped, but couldn't find the source of the noise, and continued riding.

In Tlalim we decided to go into the station in Mashabim, and resupply.
Then I felt that one of the rear spokes was completely loose.
It wasn't broken.
I tightened with my spoke key, and hoped for the best.

We were tired, so decided to sleep about 30 mins under a tree.
When we woke up, Odd and me were ready to go, and Odd said he's leaving. I waited a little, and when I saw the others were stalling - left as well.
Odd rode slowly, stopping to take photos.
I rode with him, and slower when he stopped.
Assaf and Shuki caught us about half way to Nitzana, and we all continued together.
On the way back, we slept another 30 mins under the tree in Mashabim.

From there, it was a quick return.
A little before Nehora, Odd said he needs to stop for a "call of nature," and I stopped with him. Shuki and Assaf continued.
In Nehora Junction, Odd went over a pothole, and had a snake bite. 5th Puncture!
Shuki and Assaf waited for us in the next control, but when we got there - Shuki left. Assaf waited for us to resupply, and we left 3 together.

There were lightnings, and by Gat it was raining.
Shuki waited for us in Nachshon, and from there we continued 4 riders till the finish.
A little before entering Tel Aviv, Shuki punctured his rear, but it was "nothing."

We finished in a little less than 73 hours, rode 1030 km with a little under 9000 meters ascent.

Official Results:
Odd (NO), Passed
Katzir Tal, Passed
Tsfati Assaf, Passed
Razinovsky Shuki, Passed
Ben (NL), DNF
Udy Mussayev, DNF

Tal.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה